Monday, July 18, 2011

Three times a charm?

So I saw my third man peeing on a wall today. They just stop their scooter when they feel the need. we just came back from teaching and some of the volunteers are teaching the older Vietnamese cuss words. There is nothing funnier than a Vietnamese kid saying the shit hit tha fan. These are high schoolers and older so it's pretty funny. They are Irish volunteers and I'm actually learning some pretty useful phrases. I mean these Vietnamese kids are taking copious notes on cuss words. So funny. The Irish guy just said "to shit a brick...does everyone know what a brick is?"

We had another scooter ride home today with the teachers at our school. You will see all kinds of crazy things on the motor bikes here. You will see scooters bogged down with crates, flowers, etc. You will see a family of five on the scooter and one of the kids is in a high chair. So Beth and I jumped on one of the teachers scooters thinking all three of us were riding together. She looked at us like we were crazy and was like this scooter is for two. The other teacher was helping take us home too. They are all so nice here. We are going to karaoke on wedenesday. I can't wait!!!!

7 comments:

Mom said...

This post is funny. However, I would hope with the short time you have there these poor kids would be able to learn some other useful idioms. Who are the superiors in charge of making sure the volunteers teach good things to the students? Sounds too loose for this English teacher's conscience. I only hope the idioms you teach fall into the "there is a frog in my throat, or when pigs fly" category.

Jane in Argentina said...

Ha! Those were volunteers who are here for many weeks. They are at the end of their teachings with thevkids. Yesterday we taught clothes, colors, and the body to the kids. Today we assisted enlist teachers and worked one on one with the kids. Then this afternoon we went and oplayed games withthe boys at the orphanage. They are all so sweet. One of the volunteers here brought a ton of school supplies to donate so we are taking the girls cute pencil cases, crayons, and coloring books tomorrow.

Crissy said...

So did you pick "We Can Work it Out" for karaoke?

Jane in Argentina said...

Ha! C!! I think I may go with some rob Thomas. Those lyrics will change your life. Ha! How was your weekend?

Jane in Argentina said...

Ps, c, karaoke is tomorrow night. I can't wait to give the full report on that!

Olivia said...

go with She Big, She Big, She Big!!

Jane in Argentina said...

Also a classic!